Friday, December 19, 2014

Earl Sweatshirt Interviews Mike Tyson and Speaks on Odd Future, The Notebook Movie and More

Picture of Earl Sweatshirt Interviews Mike Tyson and Speaks on Odd Future, The Notebook Movie and More
Odd Future rapper Earl Sweatshirt sits down with Mike Tyson for Citizens of Humanity‘s biannual publication dubbed Humanity. As expected, the peculiar pairing yielded more than a number of interesting dialogue between the two individuals coming from opposite ends of the entertainment field. Included in the insightful and intriguing piece is Tyson’s apparent unending affection for the movie, The Notebook, as he implores the young Sweatshirt to educate him on the Odd Future movement and Earl’s own personal journey. Enjoy key pieces from the eclectic interview below and catch the full piece over at Citizens of Humanity.
On Music and Odd Future
Earl: I do music. So I came.
Mike: Like songs and stuff, records and radio and stuff?
Earl: Not so much radio. I was fortunate enough to – we like developed our own, like self-sustaining like fan base that was separate. So when I was like 14, I was getting better at rapping, like running around L.A., trying to find like people to do music with. And I linked up with this dude Tyler. And he had this whole thing going on already. We started making music, and it was like, it was idiot music, but it was really, I think, what we had in hindsight, what attracted so many people to it was potential. Like we weren’t necessarily talking about anything, but the way that the music was, it was like sophisticated in a sense for our age. So anyways, we’re doing that.
On Earl’s Year-long Absence
Earl: I broke the law, but it wasn’t so much that, she was worried about my identity, you know what I mean, and just how I was establishing it. Like the man I was becoming. So I had to spend that year and a half just like searching for myself, you know what I mean, just like figuring myself out.
Mike: We don’t know at 20 years old the man we want to be. I just recently found out the man I wanted to be in life. I said, “This is the guy I want to be.” And I realized everything I did in the past prevented me from being the person that I wanted to be, so I don’t do what I did in the past anymore. But it took me to be what, 45, 47, 48 to really get it, so it’s not like I’m some genius. I learned from experience, no one told me to follow anybody else’s example, I had to feel the stove to realize it was hot. Some people say I’m an idiot because it took me this long to get it and some people can get it right away, some people take a long time. But I got it, At least I got it, some people never get it. I grasped it. I realized I’m not in the streets, I’m not in the clubs no more, you know, I’m not sleeping with strippers or anybody like that.
On Friendship
Mike: You have to be a friend to yourself. You know, ‘cause if you’re not a friend to yourself, you’re an enemy to yourself and if someone’s a friend of everybody they are an enemy to themselves. You know, you can’t be everybody’s friend, you can’t save the world, I learned this word: self-preservation. Once you do that, you can be friends with people, but how would you be a friend to anybody if you’re not a friend to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment