Monday, November 11, 2019

ART: Take a First Look Inside Yayoi Kusama's New Exhibition, "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE"

Yayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" 'DANCING LIGHTS THAT FLEW UP TO THE UNIVERSE'Yayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" 'DANCING LIGHTS THAT FLEW UP TO THE UNIVERSE'Yayoi Kusama EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE Exhibition Infinity Mirror Room David ZwirnerYayoi Kusama EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE Exhibition Infinity Mirror Room David ZwirnerYayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" 'Souls of Women that Continue Forever'Yayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" 'Souls of Women that Continue Forever'Yayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" Pumpkin WhiteYayoi Kusama "EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE" 'Ladder to Heaven'
Over the summer, David Zwirner Gallery announced that it will host another exhibition of legendary artist Yayoi Kusama‘s large-scale installations and sculptures. The show, titled “EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE,” officially opens on November 9. Prior to its launch, HYPEBAE had the opportunity to preview the works on display.
Mediums and forms on view range from stainless steel to fabric sculptures to large and smaller-scale paintings. The stunning breadth of work spans influences drawing from Kusama’s entire life. ”Every day, any day. I will never cease dedicating my whole life to my love for the universe,” her statement on the exhibit reads. “Oh my dearest art. With the challenge of creating new art, I work as if dying; these works are my everything.”
Familiar Kusama motifs including her signature dots and pumpkin sculptures are featured in the exhibition alongside intricately detailed square paintings that, when viewed side-by-side at once, form a bright plane of texture and shape. A new work, ‘Clouds,’ is comprised of almost 100 stainless steel forms reminiscent of liquid mercury. The silver forms punctuate the floor and catch warped reflections of the works hung on gallery walls. Selections from Kusama’s series ‘Souls of Women that Continue Forever,’ cast aluminum wall hangings painted with a woman’s profile echoed into long fluid forms, capture the artist’s obsession with repetition.
A never-before-seen Infinity Mirror Room is another highlight of the show. ‘DANCING LIGHTS THAT FLEW UP TO THE UNIVERSE’ immerses viewers in a seemingly endless landscape of black punctuated by glowing orbs. Drawing on the theme of infinity, color-changing LED lights covering Kusama’s ‘Ladder to Heaven’ give the impression that the work quite literally leads into the heavens above.
Yayoi Kusama’s “EVERY DAY I PRAY FOR LOVE” is on view at David Zwirner‘s Gallery from November 9 to December 14.
David Zwirner Gallery
537 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment